RFI

Re: [RFI] [TowerTalk] Lutron and RFI

To: "Charles Gallo" <Charlie@TheGallos.com>,"Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>,"RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>, "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] [TowerTalk] Lutron and RFI
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 19:00:02 -0500
> I think the idea is that if the supply and return from the
> dimmer to the lamp are essentially a pair, then the
> magnetic fields cancel, and it's sort of self shielding (a
> balanced pair), since they are right next to each other,
> and the "loop area" is small.

They are always the same distance apart, assuming the wire
is the same wire.

Perhaps the assumption is the RFI is caused by differential
currents, but in most cases for us they are either common
mode or turn into common mode elesewhere in the system and
radiate to the receiving antenna. If someone's antenna is
not the primary source of ingress, they need to work on that
first. We all know RFI is a lot different than ingress into
audio systems, and audio systems are where sharing common
outlets is a big problem.

> A shared neutral has more potential for having the supply
> and return form a loop with some area, and making a better
> radiator.

BPL advocates seem to think RF won't radiate from power
lines with single returns also. Any line excited with RF
currents will be a problem because eventually it will become
unbalanced no matter how it is wired. In my experience
worrying about wire routing is largely a waste of time when
dealing with radio frequencies. Audio is another story, but
again it is best handled by proper interconnects in audio
lines.

If you excite anything other than a real transmission line
that is properly installed, terminated (for balance), and
fed.... it will radiate. And that is how things get into our
receivers unless our stations happen to be messed up. For
example people use longwire or other Marconi antennas with
less than perfect grounds, and the power lines become part
of the ground system. This allows ingress by "pumping" the
ground with noise. In a case like this the antenna should be
fixed. The same is true for Windoms or OCF dipoles or even
regular dipoles without baluns.

The fact is we can run wires anyway we want through the
house, and if a trashy device is connected to the line we
will hear it. The system is so messed up it's pure dumb luck
if a wiring change makes it better or worse.

The only sure cure is to make sure the antenna and feedline
have minimal response to noise on house wiring, and make
sure the things in our houses don't generate RFI. I sure
wouldn't go rewiring anything to try to cure noise!

73 Tom