RFI

Re: [RFI] Help on speed drive motor controller RFI

To: <rfi@contesting.com>, "Tim Groat" <tcgroat@mesanetworks.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Help on speed drive motor controller RFI
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 05:00:33 -0500
> The product brochure Juan linked to shows RFI filters as
> accessories. It
> appears they need to be ordered separately and assembled
> on-site. The
> installation manual may also specify that the motor leads
> be shielded. That
> is a common requirement for this type of device--one often
> ignored by the
> installers, to save time and money.
>
> So the first step is to be sure the unit is installed as
> specified by the
> manufacturer, including all recommended filters and wired
> per the manual.

I've been through that too with almost identical
controllers, and the problem is getting electricians to
understand shielding.  The motor and leads are the big
issues. They carry the high current high voltage square
waves. They have to be in metallic conduit that has solid
connections all the way from the controller (where it MUST
be attached to the power line filter ground and the
controller ground with very short leads) to the motor
housing, which must not have any large insulated gaps in the
metal housing and a shaft with good electrical connection to
the housing..

When I swept standard line filters from another manufacturer
of similar devices (SEW-Eurodrive) the better filters had
high attenuation up to the area of the AM BC band and then
quickly fell apart.

Rather than shield the motors and leads properly I elected
to build low pass filters that had very high voltage rating.
The filters had very high impedance series inductances
throughout HF and very low shunt capacitor values ( a few
hundred pF). The filters were inductor input. This prevented
could damage them). Then the motor leads can be anything.

I used a very good standard shielded CE approved line filter
for power lines.

The entire thing went in a large aluminum chassis with
screen cover for viewing and ventilation and smaller sub
chassis for output filters and control line filters. That
went into a conventional enclosure.

73 Tom