RFI

Re: [RFI] 115 KV Lines

To: <k4zw@comcast.net>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] 115 KV Lines
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 10:46:41 -0400
>  Wonder if anyone on the list has experience with nearby
> 115 KV transmission lines?  I have a 43-acre property that
> I'm getting ready to develop, including an HF station.
> Last week I received a call from an engineering firm that
> is working on a wind generation farm on a nearby mountain.
> The problem, they want right of way permission to run the
> 115 KV transmission lines on my property either along the
> road or at the back of the lot.  My first reaction was oh
> no!
>  One of my office colleagues use to work for a power
> company in the Midwest.  He suggested it might not be as
> bad as it sounds because 115 KV lines typically don't have
> transformers and lightning arrestors like you find in
> residential neighborhoods.  Still, the thought of
> something like that nearby (within 200' - 2000' of my
> antennas) conjures up thoughts of potential RFI.  I know I
> would not have bought the property had the lines been
> there to begin with.
>  I realize there is no way to speak to the specifics of
> this case but what are your general experiences with lines
> like this and RFI?  I haven't built on the lot yet but I
> was getting ready to put up the first two towers soon.
> Now I'm wondering whether I should proceed or ditch this
> location and look for another if they gain approval for
> right of way.  It's a perfect location in all other
> respects so I really hate to bail.  Any thoughts or
> experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated.

The problem with a 115kV line is if anything ever goes wrong
they will almost never want to fix it. Also, in my
experience, don't count on hearing well in the direction of
the line. There is always some noise, although it is often
more white-like nature.

The rule I made when looking for land was no HV lines and no
potential for future HV lines within a 1.5 mile radius.