RFI

[RFI] Identify this pole hardware

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Identify this pole hardware
From: "Kelly Johnson" <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 07:41:54 -0700
Can anyone tell me what these little black boxes attached to powerline
poles around my house are?  I suspect that one of them is a source of
RFI.

Here's a link to pictures of the black boxes.  They are about the size
of a shoebox with a cone on each end and wires running into the cones
on each end.  The boxes are mounted on the wires close to the power
pole.

http://www.kellyandshari.com/gallery/album18

I reported a noisy pole to PG&E 1 month ago.  The noise is only there
when outdoor temps go above about 80 or 85 degrees.  A PG&E consultant
came out and heard the noise, but it went away before he could DF the
pole.  I told him what pole it was based on my DFing.  Last weekend,
something on that very pole blew up.  It looks like one of these black
boxes.  I'm hoping this solves my RFI problem :-)  I won't know until
temps get hot again.  In the meantime, I'm just curious what these
black boxes are for.  The power went off for a second when we heard
the big "bang" from that pole, but went right back on.  Nothing else
is out.  None of the neighbors have reported a problem.  I'm wondering
if these are cable boxes.  Anyone know?