RFI

Re: [RFI] Identify this pole hardware

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Identify this pole hardware
From: "Kelly Johnson" <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 09:47:39 -0700
Yes, I suspected that it was part of the cable system.

I get S9 "powerline like" noise on HF all the way up through (and past
I suppose) 432Mhz.  Sometimes the NB will knock it down, but not
always.  The noise only appears when temps get above about 80 deg or
so.   As temps rise, the noise gets stronger and more constant.  Once
temps hit 85 or 90 degrees the noise is constant and S9 on 6 meters.
It goes away after sundown.  The noise DEFINITELY came from this pole.
 I just don't know if the noise came from one of these little boxes.
I DF'd the noise several times with a portable 432MHz radio and 5
element arrow yagi.  A PG&E guy heard it while on the street in front
of my house, but by the time he went into my back yard to DF it to a
pole the noise went away.  This was on a day that wasn't all that hot.
 If the noise doesn't come from one of these boxes, then it sure is an
interesting co-incidence that one of these boxes blew on the very same
pole I reported to PG&E 1 month ago.  Maybe it is a coincidence.  Next
time temps get up to 90 degrees I guess I'll know whether it was this
box or not :-)  Either way, PG&E is supposed to come out and fix this
pole (and another about 1 block away) regardless.