RFI

Re: [RFI] Meter Sensitivity to Surges

To: dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Meter Sensitivity to Surges
From: kd4e <doc@kd4e.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 21:04:28 -0500
Thank you for your thoughtful and informed reply!
It was filled with educational value - as a sometimes
adjunct prof I really value that.

Weapon-generated EMP is not big on my list of concerns,
though it is thought-provoking to consider.

I am sensitive to the reality that the number of
potential sources of low-level EMP (lightning, desert
and snow-source static, failed pole-pigs, mistakes in
the radio room keying a KW amp-fed antenna near an
antenna tied to an active receiver, and etc.) seem to
be multiplying as we increase our levels of population
in challenging area and the grid infrastructure grows
to meet demand.

I have read of efforts to protect planes, helicopters,
water and ground vehicles from deliberate EMP attack
and perhaps from collateral damage from our own EMP
weapons - some of that technology likely applies to
any mission-critical Ham gear.

For Hams it seems probable that exposure to significant
EMP would preclude their post-disaster deployment so
such should not be a concern.  If a weapon-generated
EMP is significant enough to destroy a Ham's gear there
is reasonable probability that the Ham may have more
serious personal-health concerns.

--

Thanks! & 73, doc, KD4E
Personal: http://bibleseven.com/kd4e.html