RFI

Re: [RFI] Meter Sensitivity to Surges

To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Meter Sensitivity to Surges
From: Martin Ewing - AA6E <aa6e@ewing.homedns.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 21:39:33 -0400
kd4e wrote:

 > For Hams it seems probable that exposure to significant
 > EMP would preclude their post-disaster deployment so
 > such should not be a concern.  If a weapon-generated
 > EMP is significant enough to destroy a Ham's gear there
 > is reasonable probability that the Ham may have more
 > serious personal-health concerns.

Not necessarily.  Dale's scenario of one high altitude nuclear burst is
one I've heard before.  The EMP effects can be severe even a thousand
miles away.  Most modern electronics would be fried, and we'd be back to
vacuum tubes and B batteries if we had not taken precautions.  But there
would be few direct biological effects.

As threats go, it's unlikely compared to hurricanes and earthquakes.
Let us pray. Still, good EMP protection should be good lightning
protection, though not necessarily the other way around.

73 Martin AA6E