RFI

Re: [RFI] Car laptop adaptors

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Car laptop adaptors
From: "Mel Crichton" <kj9c@iquest.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 12:08:53 -0500
I can tell you one to avoid: the universal adapter with numerous plugs, the one
I bought off Internet is Espow brand... about 20-25 bucks on E-Bay... RFI even
with ignition off. I tried the small TrippLite inverter and managed to get it
failrly quiet, but its noise increased ith ignition on.

NN9K tells me that the really expensive one (about 150 bucks) made by Lind
Electronics is quiet, but I chose to buy a "12 volt" laptop instead.

Just for fun, did you try your laptop on a 12 volt DC supply? Many WILL work,
even though the battery and AC supply are over 14 volts. I soldered a cigarette
lighter plug in parallel with the 19volt DC from the AC supply, for a temporary
fix. Will have a dedicated 12 volt AROUND the ignition switch in the future.

Mel KJ9C

I suppose this is as good a place as any to ask whether anyone knows of a
particular model of adaptor that will allow my 18V laptop to run off of 12
VDC without creating RFI.