RFI

Re: [RFI] TV RFI - an update 2

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] TV RFI - an update 2
From: rrath@charter.net
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 21:49:37 -0800

> The chassis and circuit common of the VCR and TV have capacity
> coupling to the power system ground via the power transformer (and
> bypass capacitors), even if they have no green wire ground. So pin 1
> problems are likely to be there, and ARE a primary coupling mechanism,
> whether there's a 2-wire or 3-wire power cord.

I will have to get this done this weekend.

> "Mix 2" is a disguise so they can sell it for 5-10X what Fair-Rite
> (the mfr) charges. I'll take a wild guess and say "mix 2" might be
> Fair-Rite #73 or #78 (I'm not looking at data, only the .25 to 10 MHz
> statement.) Both should work on 80M -- IF you wind at least 10 turns
> around it -- but they won't do much above 80.

I have 10 turns or wraps on each torriod. Does it make a difference if I
wrapped them clock wise or counter clock wise? I went counter clock wise.
These are iron torroids not ferrite torroids. Make a difference?

> Of course, the root cause could be lousy shielding in the VCR and/or
> TV, in which case you need the bucket treatment. :)
>
> 73,
>
> Jim Brown K9YC

Right now the bucket treatment sounds darn good.

Rod