RFI

Re: [RFI] Kenwood TM-D700

To: RFI Reflector <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Kenwood TM-D700
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 10:51:24 -0500
On Nov 1, 2008, at 11:19 AM, Jim Brown wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 08:42:25 -0400, WA3GIN wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have a variable 12dc supply that they could use with
>> the D700
>> and perform some testing with voltages from 13.8 down to 11.8.  I
>> know the
>> FT-857 I have doesn't like any voltage below 12vdc.
>
> Bring a 12V battery up to full charge, then let it run down while
> running
> the radio, monitoring the voltage, and observing the result. To
> simulate
> installation in a typical vehicle, use 30 ft of #14-2 between the
> battery
> and the radio.

This brings to mind that when it happened to me, there were possibly
two conditions being met. It was a cold morning, and the radio was
cold. IIRC, I was stopped, at which point the Voltage was somewhat
less than when on the road. Possibly a combination of the two? Thermal
disequilibrium plus a slightly lower voltage?

This is a devil of a problem to troubleshoot, since it is so
transient. But if someone could pinpoint a trigger for the noise, it
would be a help.

I haven't had it since the last cold weather, and not often then.

-73 de Mike N3LI -