RFI

Re: [RFI] DirecTV to ground or not to ground

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] DirecTV to ground or not to ground
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 10:01:51 -0800
On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 16:14:47 -0500, Alan NV8A wrote:

>It is my understanding that the National Electric Code requires that
>your satellite dish be connected to the same ground as your power
>company's and telephone company's grounds and to your ham radio
>station's ground -- all of them tied together.

>This is a matter of electrical safety.

Yes.

>The NEC couldn't care less about TVI.

The NEC was written by very good engineers, and has included input from
some with excellent background in audio, video, and RF. I haven't found
anything in NEC that is in conflict with good engineering practice with
respect to EMC in any of these systems.

In some systems, it may be necessary to study and use the methods
permitted by various exceptions to the simpler paragraphs (for example,
isolated ground wiring). In isolated ground systems, everything is still
bonded together, but in a well controlled manner that is most suitable
for the system in question.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC