RFI

Re: [RFI] DirecTV to ground or not to ground

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] DirecTV to ground or not to ground
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 21:10:56 -0800
On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 21:04:26 -0600, jvpoll@dallas.net wrote:

>b) History, practice and more importantly, mistakes in
>practice (accidents) have made important contributions
>to the NEC than simple theory would or  could predict;
>take for iinstance grounding practices. What _is_ the
>rationale for grounding the secondary circuit (the
>service to the home) of a power transformer for instance?

>This isn't strictly neccessary for that service to
>function. (I am asking this for the purposes of bringing
>forth an example; I can cite cases where, in practice, this
>has saved property and/or life, but that is different than
>a statement or the treatment a textbook might give.)

>Could you cite a textbook wherein that rationale is brought
>to light?

One reference is the tutorial cited below. While it's written
for sound and video contractors, the fundamentals apply to
hams.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/SurgeXPowerGround.pdf

It all comes down to safety. The secondary is bonded to provide
both lightning safety and, with the equipment (safety) ground
conductor (green wire) provide a solid path to blow a fuse or
breaker if a fault develops that could shock someone or start a
fire. The lightning protection comes from because the bond to
earth limits the potential that can exist in the event of a
strike. The concept behind lightning protection is to have the
whole building rise in potential by the same amount.

NEC can be purchased in annotated form -- that is, with
explanations and commentaries interspersed with each paragraph.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC