RFI

Re: [RFI] DSL Filter Update

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] DSL Filter Update
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 13:38:41 -0800
Thanks Roger. The characteristic impedance of most paired cable,
including audio cables and telephone cables, is on the order of
70-100 ohms. CAT5 is 100 ohms. 600 ohms has not been used in pro
audio for nearly 50 years, and in telephony is used ONLY when
equalizing a voice circuit. When they're equalized for a voice
circuit, the response becomes a multi-pole low pass filter with a
corner in the range of 3- 15 kHz, depending on whether it's a
telephone circuit or a broadcast circuit (and VERY few broadcast
circuits are still in existence). DSL circuits are working
directly on the telco wires, so they've got to be designed for the
Z of that cable.

Actually, the termination impedance DOES affect the response.
Also, remember that in many applications, the TIME response in the
passband is at least as important as the amplitude response.

I analyzed the filter given the design values and your
substitutions using ELSIE, some modeling software by Jim Tonne,
distributed with the ARRL Handbook. That software plots magnitude,
phase, time, SWR, and reflection parameters. It shows that the
amplitude and time response gets rather bumpy above about 700 kHz,
suggesting that the cutoff frequency is a bit lower than it should
be. I would be concerned about that in a marginal DSL circuit --
that is, a long one. The proof of the pudding, of course, is in
the eating, and it's working for you.

I've recently measured some Common Mode filters TELCO filters. The
results are at

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/TelcoFilters.pdf

I can't see any effect on the differential response with any of
them.

The two K9YC filters were wound on #31 2.4-inch o.d. toroids and
optimized for 160M. Since I have no DSL and no RFI on phone lines,
I can't vouch for their effectiveness.

73,

Jim K9YC

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 12:01:26 -0800 (PST), Roger Parsons wrote:

>I know that Nick used an N2PK VNA - .png attached - but no more
than that. I did do a few sums on the filter design a few weeks
ago and was surprised to find that the design impedance is close
to 50 Ohms rather than the 600 Ohms that I had been expecting - or
that I had been expecting until I thought about the likely
characteristic impedance of two closely spaced small insulated
wires. But even if the wrong source/load impedance is used the
shape of the passband/stopband will not change - only the overall
attenuation.

<ve3zi@yahoo.com>, "ve3zi@rac.ca" <ve3zi@rac.ca>