RFI

Re: [RFI] Noisy Noisy Noisy Front End

To: "'RFI List'" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noisy Noisy Noisy Front End
From: "RFI Services' Mike Martin" <mike@rfiservices.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 12:55:42 -0400
Hello Chuck in Hudson,
You might be surprised at the number of hams that got their radio intro with
CB and believe me that doesn't make you any less an operator.
Your interpretation of your RFI problem is a little contradicting. The noise
you are hearing is more likely to be Power line generated than cable TV and
if it is Power line hardware it isn't illegal unless someone complains.
 You have a few choices on the direction to go. Choose the one that appeals
the most but I'll give you my recommendation.
1.) Locate it yourself and hope the responsible utility provider will
correct it, that is if you find the correct source(s).
2.) Start calling all of them with hopes that one of them will locate the
source no matter what the source is and lead you in the correct direction
for resolution.
3.) Assume it is power line noise and call the power company. It is most
likely the predominant source of all and at least the ball will get rolling.

If you'll send me a wav file of the noise, I'll ID it for you and give you
suggestions on the direction to go.
Be aware that this process sometimes takes years to accomplish. The time
frame for success is determined by many things and the way you handle this
situation is the biggest determining factor. "You can catch more bees with
Honey that with Vinegar."
If they like you it can go pretty fast, if not it may never get fixed. If
you are the type of person that will call complaining everyday with a bad
attitude then this process will go like everything else in your life. Be
patient and remember the utility you work with may not know any more about
the noise problems you have than you do and even less about radio. If you
work well together, and you may not have control over this, you will both
learn a lot and the good relationship you build with the local RFI guy will
go a long way toward having less noise on you ham radio than you had on your
CB.
Enjoy the reflectors as they are full of knowledgeable as well as humorous
people.

Mike Martin
RFI Services
6469 Old Solomons Island Rd