RFI

Re: [RFI] Belkin PureAV™ Home Theater Battery Back up

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Belkin PureAV™ Home Theater Battery Back up
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 09:58:03 -0800
On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 08:44:28 -0500, kd4e wrote:

>Are they really RFI-clean or do they only address line noise?

Hi Doc,

As you probably know, I work in pro audio. The real engineers
among us get quite a laugh out of the technical claims made from
the purveyors of audio accessories to "clean up that nasty AC
line" to make audio gear sound better.

I'd guess that this product is a standard backup power supply with
a simple power line RFI filter. It probably also has MOVs in it. I
would guess that it doesn't MAKE RF noise in standby mode, but I'd
bet that it DOES when it's regenerating AC during a power failure.

When I'm specifying systems for public buildings (theaters,
churches, stadiums, etc) where things need to work with flaky
power, I specify the combination of a SurgeX suppressor (for
lightning protections) and a backup on DSP-based equipment so that
it doesn't lose its brains or have to reboot with a power
interruption. If you've got an extra $600 laying around, you could
do that for your home stereo.

If you simply want to do some RF filtering, look for RF line
filters from mfrs like Corcom and Delta. They cost a LOT less. The
SurgeX units also include very good RF line filters. See the RFI
tutorial on my website for photos of some filters and a discussion
of how they work.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

73,

Jim Brown K9YC