RFI

Re: [RFI] Belkin PureAV™ Home Theater Battery Back up

To: Brendan Minish <ei6iz.brendan@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Belkin PureAV™ Home Theater Battery Back up
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 04:17:42 -0500

Brendan Minish wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-12-04 at 14:02 -0500, kd4e wrote:
>
>> Good info.
>>
>> What I need is a good UPS that doesn't generate hash while
>> recharging, maintenance charging, or inline use during a
>> grid failure.
>>

> I have found the APC smart UPS series quite noisy at HF and MF.
> They can be tamed with good line filtering (line and protected sides)
> and appropriate bonding.

I'm running 6 APCs that vary from 500 watts to 1500. I can't imagine
running a modern computer on anything less than the big ones.  So far
"on the ones I have", when running off the battery I've found no
discernible noise in the HF range.
> The smart ups series are line interactive and
> are great units (from an IT managers perspective) but I have not found
> them particularly clean from a radio users perspective.

However what's really needed is a line conditioner.  They are like a UPS
but run off the battery all of the time. The circuit is tailored to give
a very good, clean, regulated sine wave and they are about 2 to 4 times
the price of the same size UPS.  I should say were as I've not looked
for one in a long time.
> I also have an APC back UPS on the shack PC.
For the ham shack I run the rigs directly off batteries while the AC
accessories run off the smaller UPSs.
I don't have anything big enough to power the amps. Those would take a
big bank of batteries through a good inverter which would end up costing
more for batteries than the whole station with the exception of the
tower and antennas.

73

Roger (K8RI)