RFI

Re: [RFI] Power line noise

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Power line noise
From: "W6YN Don Milbury" <w6yn@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 19:18:16 GMT
Using a higher frequency is helpful in pinpointing the problem. This noise is
very wide spectrum.
I use 33cm am equipment for this purpose as HF signals travel well along power
lines.

The possibility of a ground wire on the  transformer pole will make the RFI
appear louder when sampled at ground level near the pole.

Transformers are rarely the cause of RFI. An internal arcing may not be
detected with an ultrasound detector.
Transformers are often suspected because it's "the biggest thing up there."

Any loose connection in close field proximity to the HV circuits can cause
sparking between the metal parts.
Wooden construction may shrink over time and just tightening the hardware can
solve this problem.

Sometimes striking the affected pole (Watch your head! Junk may fall.) with a
large hammer or mallet can change or even temporarily stop the noise.

Good Luck!

73,  Don,  W6YN