RFI

[RFI] Power line noise

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Power line noise
From: Ash Thornton <thorntonash@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 13:36:08 -0500
All,

I found the posting from Corn country interesting.

I have a situation that also seems to appear with the cold weather,
appears to be limited to a stretch of poles that dead end near my
QTH. I found it with a loop cut for 7Mhz and a K3. Several other hams
in the local neighborhood have the same noise problem I am seeing,
160-40. I see S9 +20-30 noise under several poles and then drops off
rapidly as I move along the line.

NStar the utility her near Boston has been checking this problem for
several weeks. They use a ultra sound detector which has shown
nothing. Several of there grounds are suspect and they will add
additional grounds. A question, anyone know how to recognize a pole
transformer failing?The noise seemed to peak on an AM radio just
under one of them. NStar is coming back tomorrow to look again before
they send out a maintenance crew for the grounds. I am getting a
little worried because if it is not a ground problem they are saying
nothing they can do as they see no arcing.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Thorny
W1FQ