RFI

Re: [RFI] Linksys Router Birdies

To: Edward Swynar <gswynar@durham.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Linksys Router Birdies
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 16:50:10 -0500

Edward Swynar wrote:
> Hi Tony,
>
> "...What is the best method of getting rid of router birdies?"
>
> *************************************
>
> The way things are going anymore re. the RFI pollution that's assaulting us,
> I submit for your consideration (tongue in cheek) the following two options:
>
> (1) Get rid of the router, or,
>
> (2) Get out of Amateur radio.
>
> Sad to say, but the onslaught against us Hams, collectively, is a veritable
> trunami in terms of its width, breadth, and ceaselessness...and I can see it
> only getting worse.
>
> How I ever managed to operate a multi-band 750-watt station smack dab in the
> middle of suburbia 20 years ago---pre-computers, pre-wireless phones,

I'm in the middle of a rural subdivision with half wave sloping dipoles
on 75 and 40, plus a half sloper on 160 to nearly all corners of the
lot. There's a tribander, 7L 6-meter yagi above that and stacked pairs
of 12L on 144 and 11L on 440 on top. I run the legal limit up through
144 with no problems so far. The noise level on 40 during the contest
this past week end was running S1 or less. Although... there is
something that some times shows up on upper HF through lower VHF (IOW
from about 16 MHz to a bit above 6-meters) from the SE over a wide arc

I have taken no special precautions for the 5 computers, router, switch,
or modem on the Gigabit network. No extra shielding and no additional
grounds. Actually the only ground for that stuff is the green wire in
the outlet.

73

Roger (K8RI)