RFI

Re: [RFI] solar intertie inverter...RFI ???

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] solar intertie inverter...RFI ???
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 10:48:56 -0700
Bill,

One of my neighbors, AE6RF, has several solar systems nearby, and they cause
him  a lot of grief. As luck would have it, one of those houses was for sale
as a result of the housing disaster, and I pretended to be a prospective
buyer so that I could take a closer look at it. :)

The inverter is not the only part of a solar system that can cause RFI. Two
others are 1) charging regulators, which are usually pulse modulators, and
2) circuits that pulse the batteries to prevent degradation. These circuits
kick in at different times, and the current loop is usually physically large
-- a simple series loop that includes the pulser and the batteries.

There are (at least) two important elements of a solution. First, the
waveshape of the pulses must be well controlled to minimize harmonic
content. That's a circuit design issue, and modifying after the fact it can
cause dissipation issues with the devices (because significant dissipation
can occur during switching). Second, you need to reduce the area of that
current loop to near zero by having the return conductor retrace its steps
in the daisy chain. This is counter-intuitive to non-EMC designers, because
it increases the resistance of the loop, but it's critical to killing RFI.
That loop should also be twisted pair.

73,

Jim K9YC

 On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 05:25:01 -0400, ny9h wrote:

>As i get ready to commit to a 10kw solar array, i wanted to feel
>comfortable about NOT getting crud from the inverter. It's a Froniac

>http://www.fronius.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-667A94FB-
BF4BC27B/fronius_usa/hs.xsl/2714_1483.htm