RFI

Re: [RFI] HomePlug Experience?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] HomePlug Experience?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 00:53:20 -0400

On 10/7/2010 1:39 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
>    On 10/7/2010 3:42 AM, Hare, Ed W1RFI wrote:
>>> I do know the CAT5e and CAT6 do radiate making the use of 2-meter HTs
>> That almost sounds like something could be wrong. At ARRL HQ, we have an
>> extensive Ethernet and radio operation continues pretty much noise free.
> I don't use wired Ethernet here in CA, but I did in Chicago.
With the photography and avi work I do the rolling backups have almost
made the wired gigabit network a necessity.
>   2M HTs
> heard a LOT of noise in close proxmity to the CAT5 wiring in the room
> that was my combined shack/office,
This is where our problems differ.  I hear no interference in either
shack.  I can even set the HT on the computers.  IF I move it around
this one, I can just find a very weak signal with the HT antenna right
up against the steel tower case. Out by the tower it was causing
problems between two 5W HTs that were 75' to 150' apart.

The CAT6 in in PVC conduit that is buried about 15' to the East of the
tower and runs between the garage and shop. The actual route for that
CAT6 is about 8' from the switch, down through the floor, across the
basement ceiling in PVC, up, through the plate into the garage, up the
South wall to the ceiling, across the ceiling to the North side of the
garage, down the wall, through the plate, down about 2' with 1' of that
below ground, then 37' North underground to the South wall of the shop,
up to the plate, through the plate and into 1" grounded EMT, and then up
about 3' to the metal junction box. I should add that there is one hard
wired phone line in the bundle as well.
> and I did NOT notice an improvement
> when replacing low quality stuff with Belden  Mediatwist (a very high
> quality CAT6/7 cable).
Likewise mine are custom made CAT6 cables from the switch in the house
to the shop.
OTOH I have made my own with the same results. (I had forgotten about that)
There are 3 runs with two terminated at computers and a spare that is
not terminated.
That spare could be a problem, they are color coded so I can try the
spare connected and disconnected from the switch.

73

Roger (K8RI)