RFI

[RFI] Noisy or Quiet Power Supplies?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Noisy or Quiet Power Supplies?
From: Howard Lester <howard220@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 18:25:00 -0400
  On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 5:28 PM, <dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com> wrote:

> Howard,
>
> Since your use of a quote from my posting on power supplies started the
> whole ladder line thread, I thought I should weigh in with a few comments.

Dale, Dale, Dale... I do appreciate the information and cautions and
everything else you've taken the time to write so extensively. (No, I am *
not* being sarcastic!) There will be no flames coming your way as you didn't
insult me or call me an idiot.  ;-)

I  use 16 ga. 450 ohm plastic window line from The Wireman to feed an
all-band 140' long slightly inverted-V. We know its advantages for low loss
even when connected to a non-resonant antenna. So coax was out of the
question. A side advantage is its light weight. The feedpoint is supported
by a Spiderbeam 40' collapsible pole attached to a 9' high 4x4 that the
previous owners had installed for their clothesline. Heavy coax
feedline attached to the Spiderbeam pole could, I think, easily bring it
down.

The ladder line is connected to two 8' parallel lengths (cut to identical
lengths) of flexible RG8/U, which are routed through 2" pvc  through the
vinyl siding of the house. Each end of the 2" pvc has caps through which I
drilled holes for the coax. (I also have RG8X routed through that same 2"
pvc for my 6m and 2m antennas.) The two center conductors of the RG8 connect
to the balanced line terminals of my AEA-300 Transmatch. The coax shields of
the lengths of RG8 are connected to each other at both ends. I forget where
I had the SS-30M. In any case it would have been no further than about 4
feet from the transmatch's balanced line terminals.

For lightning protection I disconnect the window line from the coax outside
the house. The coax center conductors are fitted with banana jacks; the end
of the window line is fitted with banana plugs. At any threat of lightning,
and/or when I go away for more than a day, I disconnect the line and hang it
up some 15 feet from the house.

OH -- and the window line is twisted about every three or four feet.

I'm very pleased with this antenna's performance and its simplicity. I
welcome any further comments.

Howard N7SO