RFI

Re: [RFI] AM radio RFI from 2010 Ford Escape

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] AM radio RFI from 2010 Ford Escape
From: dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 11:31:35 -0500
Roger,

Believe it or not, Ford actually has a comprehensive EMC group within the
corporation (as do GM and Chrysler).  I worked with a few of their
engineers when I was in the RF shielding business in the 1990's.  I even
had to drive to Dearborn once to help perform a trouble analysis on a very
large test chamber that had an RF leak.  Although I have been out of the
shielding biz for a decade now, I spoke with a couple of Ford's engineers
just two years ago at an IEEE EMC event.  So, they do have people to work
the issues.  I suspect that the main problem is finding someone with the
right info to tap into their knowledge data base on specific vehicular
problems.

Keep at it.  Sooner or later, you'll probably get through to someone who
has the answer or who knows where to go find the answer.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

"Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Sent by: rfi-bounces@contesting.com
10/27/2010 05:44 PM

rfi@contesting.com
cc

Subject

On 10/27/2010 6:29 PM, John Brosnahan -- W0UN wrote:
> We recently purchased a 2010 Ford Escape with the 3.0L V6 engine and
> automatic transmission.  I entertained the idea of adding a mobile
> rig to the vehicle but the noise level in the stock AM radio has
> discouraged me unless I can sort out and fix the source of the RFI.
I ran into computer noise some years back when looking for a new car.
This was when Chrysler came out with the so called "cab forward" design.
The V-6 in those generated a computer "carrier" on 147.00 and it was
rock steady. If the can had set long enough it was quiet, but all you
needed to do was unlock, or open an unlocked door and it was there.  It
was also strong enough to drown out the local repeater from just over 2
miles when it was nearly a block away from me.

Several dealers worked with me, but the corporation was pretty much non
communicative.

Perhaps the Ford dealer  or even corporation might be willing to work
with you.

OT OH I have heard of a number of fuel injector noise incidents over
recent years. They were not specific to any particular car IIRC.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)