RFI

Re: [RFI] Direct TV DVR problems

To: Tom Horton <k5iid@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Direct TV DVR problems
From: dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 14:02:47 -0500
Tom,

The multiple suggestions for use of Mix 31 toroids and/or beads are just
fine and may very well solve your problems.  If not, however, you then
need to remember the other 2 aspects of an interference issue (where you
have a source [your antennas] and a victim [the DVR]).  Those aspects are:
 reduce the interfering field strength and increase the separation
distance between source and victim.  Reducing the field strength is most
easily done by reducing power (I know - not what you want to do), but if
you increase separation distance, that also reduces the net strength at
the victim's location.

The bottom line is that if the problem is not solved with common mode
chokes on the interconnecting cables (including power leads), then you are
very likely suffering from RF overload of the box itself.  Reducing power,
moving the DVR to another location, relocating your antennas further away,
or shielding the DVR (not an easy task) are your main alternative
measures.  Keep us posted as to what works for you.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

Tom Horton <k5iid@sbcglobal.net>
Sent by: rfi-bounces@contesting.com
11/02/2010 11:25 AM

rfi@contesting.com
cc

Subject
[RFI] Direct TV DVR problems

 I just switched from Dish Network to Direct TV. Previously with Dish, I
had on interference problems from my station.
 Since I have switched, Nearly every time I key up with 100 watts on most
any band it turns the DVR off. Literally turns it off and has to be turned
back on again.
 I did a quick search in the archive but didn't find anything.
 It was happening with dipoles only two days ago and now it is happening
with a 2 el 5 band quad at 40 feet. The antenna is working gangbusters and
have no detectible in the shack.
 Any ideas??? Help! SS CW this weekend. Hi!
 Tom K5IID