RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI to TV

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI to TV
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:43:19 -0500

On 12/8/2010 11:27 AM, W9RPM wrote:
> Hi, just recently I started giving my TV interference while on the 20M
> band. When I transmit running 500 or more watts, the screen will black
> out until I am done. I have cable TV, and the TV is a 32" about 5 years
> old. Not LCD or Plasma. I do have Ferrite's on the power cord and TV
> cable. I have checked all my grounds etc... I have low pass and Common
> mode filters also on my equipment.
>
> I have been looking into getting a 40" LCD also. Was wondering if they
> are less prone also?
Does it bother all channels, or just some specific ones? What modes are
you running?
You say you just recently started bothering the set so I'm assuming that
you ran for some time without RFI.

I doubt it's the TV set although I'd not completely rule it out.  As has
already been suggested, I'd check the cable and connectors through the
house.
As this is new, it could also be a loose connection in your antennas,
coax, connectors, or rig developing harmonics. I'd bet that there is a
bad connection somewhere.

Do you have a close neighbor that has recently put up a TV antenna?  One
that has just changed over to cable?  Often people wire their outside
antennas direct to the TV in addition to the cable without an A/B
switch.  Antennas with preamps can rectify the RF creating broad band
RFI and make great mixers. If hooked to the cable they can easily INPUT
the signal to pass it on. However were that the case I think you'd see
the cable company around your neighborhood.

Lots of choices. Still the most likely is the poor connection

Good Luck,

Roger (K8RI)