RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI to TV

To: Patrick Dyer <pjdyer@swbell.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI to TV
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 13:59:09 -0500

On 12/9/2010 6:50 AM, Patrick Dyer wrote:
> 145.25 is the CATV Ch 18 (Ch E) NTSC video carrier frequency, and on an
> (FM) HT it will sound pretty much like unmodulated dead air.  The audio
> for that is 4.5 MHz higher (so out of the 2m band).  It's the only basis
> that the FCC will accept a formal complaint from hams for CATV egress
> RFI situations.
Not sure I understand the wording of that.

If you can hear them, they can hear you.  Years ago...actually many
years ago...Bout 81, or 82 I lived in Alma MI.  I was driving home and
noted some interference on the 2 meter rig.  Tuning to 145.25 I found it
full scale.  Much of the East and North side of town (the only area I
drove in) were that way.   As I drove right by the
receiving/distribution center/office on the way into town I stopped for
a chat.  When I walked in I keyed the HT and their set went dark.  The
receptionist immediately called service. They weren't impressed as I was
so close to the set. So, I asked them if this was the distribution
center wasn't every one down stream seeing the same thing. They
nonchalantly said "it's probably just this set" without checking.
Sooo... I pointed out my car on the other side of the parking lot and
suggested I try the mobile. A quick test, some one answered me and we
started a short chat explaining what I was doing.  About that time I saw
the guy come out of the office waving his hands.  I was dumping the
cable system for the entire town.

Back inside I explained that there were quite of few of us living in
town and that almost all ran as much power as I did because it was quite
a distance to the repeater...which took another explanation.  At any
rate we both figured if I could hear them they could hear me and so
could any one down stream of the egress/ingress point.  When I came home
the next day, most of my route was clean.  The next day most of the town
was much better and within a week there was not a spot in town where I
could hear them.  I did stop by the office and than them.

Of course if it's just in a house that's a bit different and
particularly with an illegal tap. Had one of those across the road many
years back.
OTOH with the telephone, I lost service one day, which was not uncommon,
but this time they didn't find any problems outside the house which cost
me $50.  A search found a unterminated run (behind the desk that held
the rigs) with all the wires stripped and twisted together as neatly as
if it had been on purpose. ... CAT!

73

Roger (K8RI)