RFI

Re: [RFI] Plasma TV's are killing our hobby

To: "Joe" <wa6rkn@gmail.com>, "RFI" <RFI@Contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Plasma TV's are killing our hobby
From: "Diane and Edward Swynar" <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 13:10:46 -0500
Hi Joe,

Interference to a neighbour's telephone helped spur us here to make the big
move from the 'burbs to the country 19 years ago...

I bent over backwards in my situation to remedy the RFI to the neighbour's
phone---I even had Bell exchange her RFI-prone serial numbered units with
new-and-improved ones, at no cost to her...and she never so much as even
acknowledged her having received them, never-mind sent a simple "thank-you"
in my direction.

That's gratitude for you!

The icing on the cake came one day as I was playing with my son in the den.
The phone rang. It was her. "You're on the radio again, aren't you...?!" she
snarled in an accusing manner.

It was open season from then on, because of the convenience for people to
"...blame that Ham on the street!" (shades of a memorable "Twilight Zone"
episode) for every single blip coming through on their cheap imported
electronics.

There WERE funny occurances, however---like the time the busybody neighbour
next to us awoke with a start early one morning, thinking (no kidding!) that
a UFO had landed in our back yard. It was actually yours truly, remotely
rotating a vertical wire yagi suspended from a tree...

Funny, to be sure, but just another reason that drew us toward country
living...NO REGRETS!

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ