RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI U-verse

To: "J.Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT" <w2ttt@att.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI U-verse
From: "Christopher E. Brown" <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 19:14:31 -0600 (CST)

I think there is a terms issue here.  I did refer to a common mode choke
as a filter once, but the important part is _common mode_.  And it does
have band-stop, high-pass or low-pass behavior depending on the core and
windings.  32turns on a 2.4" #31 toroid is a common mode only high pass.
High common mode impedance on 160, decent on 80M and dropping from there.
Very little impact on say 20M given the environ it is normally installed
in.

A lower turn count can provide say a "band stop" type behavior on centered
on 20M, but doing very little on say 160M.  Again, common not
differential.

So yes, I do consider a common mode choke to be a form of common mode
filter because it does show frequency dependant behavior.

The desired signal is differential.

One can use low pass, high pass, etc multi-element filters to provide
_differential mode_ filtration.

Rolling you own here is generally a bad idea, too many standards, etc.

Proper use of differential mode filters is by the provider.

In a whole house DSL + POTS setup "DSL blockers" are approp on every POTS
drop.  These are a simple low pass filter designed to pass the audio to
the POTS device without shunting higher freqs or reflecting them.

A better setup is a "whole house splitter" installed in the NID.  This is
a high pass and a low pass filter in the same case.  The low pass leg goes
to the POTS, the high pass to the DSL modem, and all properly designed for
proper split, no reflections, etc.

These should come from the service provider, and are very specific to the
technology in use.  Don't roll your own, to easy to cause issues.
Pass-band is not the issue, phase shift and waveform distortion _is_.

The other being common mode.

A proper common mode choke is as close to non-existant as possible in the
differential mode.  I do slip into saying "common mode filter" at times,
as it does act as a very wide "band stop" filter, but only in the common
mode.

The 2 biggest issues I see in the field are

1) Common mode becoming differential mode due to issues in the cable or
devices connected.  Block the common mode before it becomes diff mode and
improve the line.

2) Very high levels of common mode acting to "de-sense" the diff mode
receiver.  This one is much more rare, but happens.

Summ...

Diff mode filtering, stick with the service provider supplied filters
selected for the specific tech, it is not as simple as is seems to roll
your own.  Better to work on improving the cabling...cheap cabling and
poor install methods degrading balance is very, very common.

A proper _common mode_ choke, A.K.A common mode filter that does not
interfere with the diff mode signal is generally a win, and in my expr
never a loss.