RFI

Re: [RFI] Comparing Lightning Arrestors?

To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Comparing Lightning Arrestors?
From: "doc@kd4e.com" <doc@kd4e.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 21:09:23 -0400
We are in a steel home which shell is grounded and all of
the antennas are fed across a 40' connex (steel shipping
container) - so I am guessing that a semi-direct hit would
breach the coax into the steel container and probably treat
the 32' span between it and the house like a fuse.

Whatever makes it to the house (before the coax "fuses"
dropped) would jump to the steel shell and to ground and
what was left would be drained-off by the lightning protector
units.

And yes, when I am home and the SAME weather alert devices
warn of a serious storm, or I hear it, I do physically
disconnect things - even though I probably do not need to!

A direct-hit can breach anything and destroy gear that is
connected to nothing.  I don't bother to worry about direct
hits.

--

Thanks! & 73, KD4E
David Colburn http://kd4e.com