RFI

Re: [RFI] Interference

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Interference
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 02:13:24 -0500
On 1/17/2012 11:57 PM, KD7JYK DM09 wrote:
> <snip>
> : clueless about that red tag thing you're talking about
> : that kind of thing isn't done around here
>
> If you smell gas, you call the gas company.  They smell it too, shut down
> the gas and red-tag the house until the leak is fixed.  This means you may
> not enter until it's cleared.  Some water companies do this, electrical
> contractors, power companies, most any emergency service, even some
> contractors and service providers, it's a basic safety thing.  My place got
> red-tagged while in escrow until the gas company could find a leak their
> manometer detected.  In your case, you'd call the fire department, they in
> turn can call the power company.  On the other hand you could turn off the
> main breaker on the back of the vacant house.
That really opens you up for liability.  If power fails the power
company/utility is not responsible even if they are. You OTOH turn off a
switch and you do become liable.
Up here...it's currently -1F and shutting off the power would guarantee
broken water pipes and likely a great deal of damage.
Actually the power company did that in a neighboring town a couple
winters back because no one had paid the bill for months.  The owner, a
disabled veteran was home and froze to death.  Now the power companies
may not turn off the power unless there is an immediate danger, or
they've gone through a very long trail of paper work and involved a
number of agencies and made sure no one is still in the house.

I've smelled gas, located the leak (right at the meter), called the
power company, told them what I'd found. They suggested strongly that I
not go back in the house. I told them to forget it. I'd located the
leak, turned off the gas, checked the house "and basement" for gas,
found none and was going back to work. Call me when you get here.  They
get much more excited if you pulled the meter. Who me, no I didn't pull
the meter, I thought your guys had been out. No, I don't know anything
about tags on meters. I was working the basement and the lights went
out.  There's been a dozen guys around helping, check with them.

In the "old days" you called them,told them when *you* were going to
pull the meter unless they had some one handy and when would they be
able to reinstall it.  As long as the readings were consistent no one
got excited.  I'd guess they've had too many pull meters and jumper the
sockets for free electricity.

I'm planning on a back up generator. No way am I going to have them pull
the meter in this kind of weather.  Temp is still going down slowly.

73

Roger (K8RI)