RFI

Re: [RFI] Common mode noise

To: "Pete Smith N4ZR" <n4zr@contesting.com>, "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Common mode noise
From: "Dale Svetanoff" <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 15:36:20 -0600
Pete,

Very interesting, but one big question:  You say that the Radio Shack wall
wart is regulated.  OK, is it linear or switcher?  One way to tell without
cutting or sawing it open is to look at the power input requirement.  If it
says "120 V" only, then it is likely a linear regulator (with an input
power transformer, rectifiers, a few filter caps, and a 12V regulator chip
or circuit).  If it says something like "90 to 240 VAC", then it is
guaranteed to be a switcher and everything you wrote makes sense.

If it is a linear, I do know of a few instances in which linear regulator
chips (such as LM7812, or equivalent) "took off" as oscillators because
they were not properly by-passed at their input and/or output pins.  A
properly functioning linear regulator should not contribute to the noise on
your system.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

www.conteststations.com