RFI

[RFI] MFJ 75 amp switcher.

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] MFJ 75 amp switcher.
From: W4ATK <w4atk@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 09:17:09 -0500
Before purchasing this unit I asked Steven Pan of MFJ if this unit was quiet. I
was assured no problem.

Well I soon noticed a very raunchy signal that moved about the 20 meter band
and eventually settled in about 14.070 MHz. Wonderful, as I enjoy PSK and the
other digital modes.

The strange thing is, I cannot detect the noise if the switcher is on but not
connected to any load. Once I plug it in to the power strip, then the signal
shows up on the P3 panadapter and in the receive audio.

I believe it is being propagated over the power cabling and intend to try some
clamp on ferries. Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Jim, W4ATK

Sent from my iPad