RFI

Re: [RFI] Introduction - power line noise

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Introduction - power line noise
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 07:14:18 -0400
On 06/24/2012 07:48 PM, KD7JYK DM09 wrote:
>> "I am all too often identifying adjacent pairs of poles as "noisy". This
>> doesn't feel right to me.
>
> Try more attenuation.  I have noted the same problem and can increase the
> attenaution in my system to where I have to be within 1" (one) of the ground
> wire of an offending pole to hear the noise generated by equipment on top.

Interesting, Kurt.

Oddly this is happening even on weaker noises that only move the
MFJ-856 meter to half scale or less.

I was fully expecting to find noise radiating from ground and guy
wires! But so far I always get more noise when pointing toward the
stuff on top of a pole than when holding the antenna nearly touching
a ground or guy wire. With some of the really strong noises I can't
determine this, and in those cases I probably do need more attenuation.

Paul