RFI

Re: [RFI] Samsung refrigerator RFI

To: "Gary \"Joe\" Mayfield" <gary_mayfield@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Samsung refrigerator RFI
From: Tom Thompson <tlthompson@qwest.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 19:21:41 -0600
Not completely. See below...

Emissions - USA
In the USA, the FCC exempts from its technical regulations appliances
that contain “incidental radiators” such as switches and motors. Only
appliances containing radio frequency (RF) or digital circuitry –
defined as having clocks or oscillators operating above 9 kHz – fall
under Part 15 rules, and even then there are additional exemptions under
which the digital circuitry in appliances may fall:
Power consumption below 6 nanowatts (nW); this would apply to most
calculators and some digital clocks.
Battery-operated only, and having an operating frequency below 1.705 MHz.
Used exclusively in transportation vehicles; these are subject to other
industry standards.
Digital devices used in large motor-driven appliances such as
dishwashers and air conditioners.
This last exemption to Part 15 regulation – digital circuitry used
exclusively in appliances – was intended only for large appliances, but
has been widely misinterpreted to apply to all appliances. The FCC
allowed the exemption on the basis that their large motors effectively
mask any emissions produced by the low frequency microprocessors they
employ. There is no such basis for exempting a hair dryer, rice cooker
or massager.
Notwithstanding any or all of the exemptions listed above, the appliance
manufacturer is obliged to assure that his devices do not cause
interference to radio or TV. FCC Part 15.103 states:
The operator of the exempted device shall be required to stop operating
the device upon a finding by the Commission or its representative that
the device is causing harmful interference. Operation shall not resume
until the condition causing the harmful interference has been corrected.
Although not mandatory, it is strongly recommended that the manufacturer
of an exempted device endeavour to have the device meet the specific
technical standards in this part.

73, Tom W0IVJ