RFI

Re: [RFI] Noise changes when room lights turn on / off

To: "Tony" <dxdx@optonline.net>, "Rfi List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise changes when room lights turn on / off
From: "KD7JYK DM09" <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 11:58:21 -0700
Have you tried killing the main breaker to your property?  That could help
rule out things on your end.  There are "ghost" currents from things running
while "off", a lot of household electronics to this for clocks, soft-start,
memories et cetera.

Do you have a little pocket AM radio?  You can tune to one end or other of
the AM broadcast band, then crank up the volume, walk around the house and
move it to within a few inches of electronic/electrical devices and hear the
sounds they generate, even when off.

Something interesting to note...  A friend and I were at Starbucks the other
day.  I had my radio scanning the GMRS freuencies (UHF) and the squelch
would break on one frequency with white noise.  I turned up the squelch, it
broke again.  I moved the radio about 6" away from her purse, problem
solved.  Her phone was in her purse, although not being used, still somewhat
active and generating RFI.

Kurt