RFI

Re: [RFI] ISOBAR

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] ISOBAR
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 13:57:32 -0700
On 9/16/2012 1:24 PM, Ed Douglass wrote:
Would I be correct in thinking that an MOV device at the end of a branch
circuit would NOT be bad news so long as all the computer and peripheral
equipment Is plugged into the MOV device?

There would not be the potential difference problem, but the inherent problems of MOVs (lifetime, blowing up (they DO blow up if you hit them with surges at the 6kV that IEEE studies show can exist on interior wiring).

I other words none of the computer equipment has a ground connection away from
the surge protector.

Can you think of a likely way in which we could fooled?  E. g. A drain wire in
a shielded CAT-5 cable.

Although Ethernet line drivers and receivers may be isolated by a transformer, the high potential of a lightning event can (and will) arc across it and take out the equipment. I know of several instances of that happening, the guys suffering the events were engineers, and the CAT5 cable was NOT shielded.

73, Jim K9YC