RFI

Re: [RFI] Oh, happy daze!!

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Oh, happy daze!!
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 17:59:17 -0800
On 12/5/2012 5:40 PM, Missouri Guy wrote:
I was thinking that the inductance might take the "edge" off the voltage spike
generated by the fence charger.

Absolutely! And don't forget about the resistive component. Most suppression chokes work by forming a low Q (typically about 0.4) parallel resonant circuit with a resonance in the range where suppression is needed. Near resonance the impedance is primarily resistive. From a couple of octaves below resonance down to DC it looks mostly inductive, and as you get low enough the inductive reactance goes to zero.

I don't know how these fencers work, but I'd start by using something like 16-20 turns around a #31 toroid, and if the fencer works, stop there. If it doesn't, pull off turns until it does.

73, Jim K9YC