RFI

Re: [RFI] Oscilloscope requirements for power line noise locating

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Oscilloscope requirements for power line noise locating
From: "Util.RFI.pro" <utility.rfi.pro@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 13:19:48 -0500
The capabilities of the scope are determined primarily by the frequency of the
signal you want to observe. I use a scope only to observe the audio output of
the built-in AM/FM radio in my work van. My ears are not able to distinguish
the changes in volume that occur as I drive by sources I hear at 1710 kHz. The
scope is an effective signal strength indicator. Virtually any o'scope will
work if you are just looking at audio.

If you want to observe the RF envelope, you will need more complex stuff to do
that. I don't believe that's either necessary or worth the effort. The only
time I want to observe an RF envelope is when I'm transmitting. In that case, I
use the CleanRF signal tap system (http://www.cleanrf.com) which is fed to a
basic scope to provide envelope and trapezoid images for distortion analysis.
But I digress...

I'm a firm believer in keeping things simple...very...very...very simple. All
of the tools I use to chase RFI are designed for the purpose and have no fluff.
The o'scope I use spends only a fraction of its time in my work van displaying
the AM radio audio. Most of the time it's on the work bench doing more
difficult jobs. As much as possible I try to buy and use tools that perform
multiple tasks.

If I can hear the source on any of my portable receivers that already have a
signal strength indicator, the scope is unnecessary. I rarely have to compare
the "signatures" of different sources. I can usually tell if I'm chasing the
right source just by listening. Purists will poo-poo my claim but I hold up my
100% success rate as evidence that I'm doing something right.

Essentially, you want to equip yourself with tools that give you the info you
need to pinpoint the source. Simple is always better and easier to use. The
frequency of the source you are chasing will determine the type and capability
of the tool(s) you use.

Good luck!

73,

Frank N. Haas KB4T
Utility RFI Investigator
Florida

Sent from somewhere in Frank's electronic universe