RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI on 1.8 mhz

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI on 1.8 mhz
From: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 12:18:25 +0000
I'm sorry, but I don't believe simple audio recordings are very useful in
many cases.  the information about something that is creating interference
across many Mhz that you can capture in a couple khz of audio doesn't do
much.  For example, the sound of the interference from the grow light
documented on my website at
http://wiki.k1ttt.net/2012%20Maintenance%20and%20Upgrade%20Blog.ashx#160mrfi
wasn't anything interesting.

Listen to the audio:
http://www.k1ttt.net/160m_rfi/20121111_182354_rfi_160m_audio.wav  to me it
sounds like 99% of the rough sounding rfi that people have posted to various
sites over the years... absolutely nothing to make it stand out.  But look
at the sdr spectrum view of it and you get a different story.  Especially
when you can track it over several Mhz and down to it's fundamental, you can
actually pretty well predict the waveform (a slightly distorted 100khz
square wave in this case).  Using something like an sdr you can also record
the interference for 24 hours or more to find out if it really is there 24/7
or only during parts of the day (in this case on a very accurate timer for
12 hours a day).

Also if you hook the sdr to a laptop and mobile antenna and go driving you
can see all sorts of fun stuff... in this case from my station I heard the
interference on 160m and a bit on 80m when I knew what to look for, but not
higher, so the vhf sort of hunting was out of the question.  But going the
other way the 100khz fundamental was only detectable when sitting under the
house's power line.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net