RFI

Re: [RFI] Help with Buzzing Monitor

To: "Eric Rosenberg" <ericrosenberg.dc@gmail.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Help with Buzzing Monitor
From: "KD7JYK DM09" <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 16:08:41 -0800
: What can I do to stop this, other than follow K9YC's suggestion to dunk
: it in a bucket of water on the way to the dump!

I had a similar problem with a new monitor generating strong enough RFI to
be picked up from the basement of a mesh covered house to an antenna 135'
away.

To fix it, I wound chokes, by making turns around my fingers in the power,
audio and video cables around my hand while monitoring the RFI on my HF
radio, once the noise was gone, I used nylon wire ties to hold the turns in
place.

How effective was this simple method???

With an 18" bare wire on the end of a ten foot piece of co-ax, hanging over
the back of my desk into the absolute ratsnest of cabling I have back there,
I cannot audibly or visually, with spectrum analysis software, detect noise
more than 3" from the computer/wiring.

Free.  Effective.  About a half hour to fix.

Kurt