RFI

Re: [RFI] LED Under Cabinet Kitchen Lights YES or NO

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] LED Under Cabinet Kitchen Lights YES or NO
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 09:36:15 -0700
On 7/26/2013 3:04 AM, Mike Ryan wrote:
I did some reading on line where one guy indicated that the power supply (he assumed) to his under cabinet lights was destroying his AM radio.

This problem is so common that it is nearly universal. 99.99% of this stuff is sold with a noisy switching power supply. One aspect of the problem that makes a solution difficult is that a transformer or linear power supply that can provide the needed current often does not fit in the available space.

The good news is that LED lighting draws less current than other lighting devices, so an old analog wall wart may be enough to do the job. For the last few years I've been seeing vendors of little LED lighting strips at hamfests like the ones Jeff, AC0C, describes, and I've bought a few that I haven't gotten around to installing yet. My neighbor, W6GJB, has used them in a nice portable rack that he built to take his K3, P3, and KPA500 out on CQP expeditions.

Going through my junk box the other day, I found four vintage linear wall warts rated for 1A at 12VDC, and you can buy a lot more for a buck a piece at most hamfests.

73, Jim K9YC