RFI

Re: [RFI] LED Bulbs

To: <n0tt1@juno.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] LED Bulbs
From: "Ed K0iL" <eddieedwards@centurylink.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 21:37:41 -0600
Charlie,

I too think poorly designed, noisy devices shouldn't be sold to consumers;
unfortunately Charlie, the problem is we are far outnumbered by those who
don't care what we think.  And with worldwide internet sales making anything
available anywhere (even junk ham radios), this battle will not be beaten by
legislation because we hams are a tiny minority in an international market
of goods.

BPL didn't go away because we won legislative battles against it; it went
away because it was beaten by better technology that came along which was
what I expected.  And some of that better technology also probably causes
some interference but on a smaller more controllable scale.  So the RFI
battlefield keeps moving and morphing.  The noisy touch lamp problems of the
80s/90s don't come up on this list too much anymore, and the noisy CRTs seem
to have faded away to our landfills.  TVI is a rare problem that became
manageable with coaxial cable TV systems.  Etc...

I'm not at all opposed to hams contacting Consumer Reports, congressmen &
congresswomen, or anyone else who might listen; however, we should all
analyze what might be the most effective way to solve each individual
problem based on what has worked for others.

Making friendships with our neighbors and helping them with their
electronics problems might get us further towards resolution than becoming a
RF community organizer stirring up protests and ill feelings on both sides.

Sometimes being nice may not work or the design is so bad the RFI cannot be
resolved, and that's when the FCC needs to step in and be the bad guy who
sends out their letter explaining the problem to the consumer and/or
manufacturer and what they expect for a solution.  This is not our job so no
reason to be any more involved other than contacting the FCC about the
device's RFI problem.  It might help, and it might not.

I feel each step towards a resolution is worth trying, right?

73, de ed -K0iL