RFI

Re: [RFI] Noise...

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise...
From: Dale <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 11:00:10 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Jim and All,

Although I have not had the need to use it for RFI hunting, my Icom IC-91A HT
does include a "DC to daylight" integral receiver with selectable mode.  It
tunes below the AM b'cast band and seems quite sensitive (I have not measured
the sensitivity, but I probably will do that eventually).  In nice weather, I
have sat out on my deck and done some BC band DXing with it.  I can tell you:

1.  It does NOT have an internal ferrite bar antenna - it works solely with the
attached whip on the SMA connector.

2.  As is usual, the factory-supplied rubber duckie is a great dummy load.  I
bought a 2m/440 "skinny flex whip" for under $25 from AES and it works very
well.  That's all I use for my AM band DXing.  It is about 20 inches in length.

3.  Lack of an internal bar antenna is unfortunate for DFing purposes, but if I
ever need to use the HT for that purpose, I'll probably make a hand-held loop.

4.  Although there is no SSB receive capability, the good news for RFI work is
that the AM detector can be activated anywhere within its tuning range.  Alas,
the usual cell range block knocks out part of the spectrum, but it is a very
handy radio.  Yes, I can also use it as a watch by tuning in WWV!

Note: The IC-91A has been replaced by the IC-92A - same radio, but D-Star is
included.

73, Dale
WA9ENA