RFI

Re: [RFI] Link-coupled loop - more.

To: Rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Link-coupled loop - more.
From: David Robbins <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 06:17:19 -0500 (CDT)
the odd bearings may be a different source that just sounds the same.  that
would also explain not getting great nulls in some spots.

Apr 1, 2014 06:25:27 PM, kgordon2006@frontier.com wrote:

OK. My son, Brendan KB7QEU and I went out after lunch and took 8 more
bearings with one of Tom Thompson's loops which I had constructed over
the past few days.

Tom's loop tunes VERY sharply. I intend to add a bandswitch, a large scale,
and a vernier dial to it to make it both easier to peak and easier to take down
a data point.

We carefully plotted the bearings we took on a map of our area of the city.

I connected the loop to the FT-890 in AM mode (BW 6 KHz), tuned to 3573.5
KHz where "my" noise peaks, and used the FT-890's "S" meter to take
readings.

First of all, the nulls are not quite as sharp, nor as deep, as those I get
with a
shielded loop, but they suffice. (The shielded loop I was using would
commonly show a difference from null to peak of over 30 db, while the
unshielded loop most often provides a difference of only about 10 db).

The results we plotted are somewhat confusing to me as three of the
bearings did not result in anything common to the other five.

4 of the bearings definitely converge on an area that appears to be around
an area of about 1 square block which is 4 blocks east of us.

A 5th is close, but outside the convergence zone of the other 4.

Signal strengths became greater as we got up on a hill to the east of my
station which is also nearer to that 1 block area than some other bearings.

Those three bearings that gave confusing results were the weakest ones,
and the differences between the null and a peak were only about 1 "S" unit.

However, one odd thing is that two of those three bearings, if I take a 90
degree normal bearing to those, both show up in the same area as the 4
"good" bearings. One, in fact, is exactly coincident at its end with two of the
other "good" bearings.

I don't know how to read those odd ones, but I am not in the habit of
throwing out data points just because they don't "fit" either. So I don't know
what to do about them right now.

I suppose I should drive over to that spot 4 blocks east of us and take a look
around, then take some more bearings.

Probably tomorrow...

Ken W7EKB.