RFI

Re: [RFI] Link-coupled loop - more.

To: "'kgordon2006@frontier.com'" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Link-coupled loop - more.
From: "EDWARDS, EDDIE J" <eedwards@oppd.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 15:04:54 +0000
Ken,

It sounds like you are trying to track RFI like it is just ordinary RF.  It may
not be acting like an ordinary RF signal.  Also, you will be seeing multiple
RFI sources in multiple ways everywhere you look.

RFI on power lines can be either directly radiated from the actual source
directly to the receiver, conducted down power lines (or even other types of
conductors), and it can also be re-radiated from all the way along a line where
it is being conducted.  Add to these facts it can also be induced from one
conductor onto another conductor.

Until you get very close to an actual RFI source, you will not be using a
bearing system to track the RFI because you are not receiving the direct
radiation of the RFI.  You are tracking it along the transmission line that is
conducting the RFI noise away from the actual source.

So the first step is to track it along the conductor or transmission line: this
requires either a lot foot work or a directional antenna mounted on the outside
of a vehicle.

While tracking RFI along a conducted line, you will see variations of peaks and
nulls: where you have peaks on the vertical, you will have a null on the
horizontal and vice versa.  This makes using a bearing system impossible and
worthless until you are close enough to the source to receive the directly
radiated RFI noise.

Once you get close enough to receive the noise radiated directly and receive it
at the highest possible frequency, then you can start taking bearings to see
what is the actual source of the noise you are tracking.

73, de ed -K0iL