RFI

Re: [RFI] More on "my" noise.

To: Tom Thompson <tlthompson@qwest.net>, "Rfi@contesting.com Contesting" <Rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] More on "my" noise.
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 21:55:10 -0000
On 28 Apr 2014 at 13:23, Tom Thompson wrote:

> It could be that the broadband noise is local and the STANAG signal at
> 4286.3 kHz is strong enough to poke through the broadband noise and they
> are not related at all.
>
> Tom   W0IVJ

Yes. I had wondered about that too. I had also thought that perhaps it
was some sort of intermod problem within the FT-890 itself.

I have been wrong about all such things before...

The "white noise" is 20db over S-9 on 3576 KHz most of the time, S-9 on
40 and S-8 on 20. It is also a bit lower on 160: S-9 on 1990 KHz AM
(2137Z).

At this moment, it is S-7 on 14042 KHz. Tuning down to 3576 Khz, it is
10db over S-9 right now (2114Z)

I am receiving reports of unusually very high "white noise" levels from
many hams around here at about the same levels as I am experiencing. So
it isn't just my station.

Doing more tuning around, with the antenna coupler OUT of the circuit,
connecting to my vertical as though it is simply an untuned chunk of
"wire" 55 feet tall, I can no longer hear any STANAG signal on 4286 Khz.

However, my "white noise" is still 10db over S-9 on 4286 Khz. now.

Now I am completely baffled...

I am hearing the STANAG signal coming on for short periods, then off
again, then back on...as though they are testing it.

Sigh....perhaps I should sell all my junque or give it away and go back
to bb stacking or sand piling... :-(

This is getting totally frustrating.

So, at this point, I can,apparenly, rule out the STANAG tranmissions...at
least those on 4286...

Ken W7EKB