RFI

Re: [RFI] Another possible problem?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Another possible problem?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 08:27:12 -0700
On 7/30/2014 8:15 AM, Kenneth G. Gordon wrote:
Might anyone here know whether or not these things have been tested for
RFI output, and what was the result?

Remember that RF is radiated by current flowing on conductors. We call them antennas. :) To be a good antenna on the HF bands, a conductor must be fairly long. Most street lights are on metal poles, and the wiring is inside those poles, so that wiring isn't going to radiate. That leaves current within the lighting fixture itself, which is probably short, and current in wiring to the pole, which is often buried. One of the reasons linear fluorescent fixtures radiate is that the lamp itself is long enough to radiate, and is not shielded. We also hear noise from electronic ballasts (switching power supplies) if wiring to them is not shielded.

All of this is a way of saying that while there COULD be a problem, we should not assume that there WILL be a problem. From what I understand of noisy street lighting, it mostly happens when a lamp fails.

73, Jim K9YC