RFI

Re: [RFI] Tecsun PL-660 for chasing RFI [Was: Is Icom IC-T90a AM-mode go

To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Tecsun PL-660 for chasing RFI [Was: Is Icom IC-T90a AM-mode good for chasing RFI?]
From: CR <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 07:21:17 -0400
Let's not get too focused on which receiver has the best sound or S-meter; MY RFI hunting has almost all been with loops or yagis -- and by ear. Often enough, for the last few hundred meters or so, I've used a homemade loop mounted on a scanner such as a VR-500. For the loops I mean, see the examples in figure 2 at
http://www.edn.com/electronics-blogs/emc-emi-rfi-esd/4378152/An-EMC-Troubleshooting-Kit--Part-1a-Emissions-

FWIW department; I could use a FS receiver or spectrum analyzer, but once outside a lab, things are usually too messy to make them worth hauling around. I once used my AOR AR-5000 for some tests, and dragging that over grass with batteries and an EMCO loop on a cart was no fun.

If you REALLY need an objective relative measurement, perhaps an RMS meter on your receiver's audio output (ideally with AGC off) might be the best way to get one. Using a product detector, the output is almost exactly proportional to the input -- but be wary of saturation and overload. The rest of the time, IMO, the ears have it.

Cortland
KA5S