RFI

[RFI] Other Noise Challenge For Ed!

To: <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Other Noise Challenge For Ed!
From: Joe Wolfe <w7rkn.7@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 18:09:57 -0700

Ed, perhaps you can shed some sense to this.  Up until 4 years ago, I had no
noise to speak of...1 to 2 s units, tops.

Then, one November day, I turned on the radio to 40 meters (7.205), at noon,
and was blasted with a 20 over *white noise*.

Did not go away, and it permeated 75 meters as well.  20 and 17 are
tolerable, 15 and up have acceptable noise levels.

Again, this is just very loud white noise, unwavering in pitch.

I hooked my radio (Kenwood TS-2000) to a battery, then switched of the main
breaker, so no power was present in the house.  Noise was unchanged.

Further research revealed:  On 40, the noise dropped to below 3 S units, and
stayed low all night.  Around 9-10 in the morning, the noise starts to rise,
reaching its crescendo around noon.  75 meter  noise does not decrease much,
at any time of day or night.

I have walked the neighborhood with the AM radio, Kenwood TH-F6A, and
found....nothing.

The noise is present in all HF radios I have, Drake's, Yaesu's, even tried
an ICom..

Mobile HF, drive 2 miles away, and the noise is gone.

There are no overhead wires in my neighborhood.  There is a high tension
line 2 miles from the house, but it is quiet it's 8 miles run, down to town
from the crest of the mountain it comes across from the North.  (I have
driven it)

I run an off-center fed dipole, 6 to 80 meters, at 20 feet on 1 side, 26
feet the other side.  (Fence is on a drop down berm..we live in the hills
(Each house in the neighborhood is 6 to 8 feet higher [or lower] than its
neighbor]) I have no problems being heard anywhere, on any band, but...heh,
if you can't hear, what the sense?!!!

Thoughts?

Joe Wolfe - W7RKN