RFI

Re: [RFI] Electric Fence pulsing (will get worse soon !)

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Electric Fence pulsing (will get worse soon !)
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 03:36:12 -0400
His problem, although possible, is unlikely to be the actual "fencer"

High powered fencers are a mixed blessing. They Usually (50 year old memory...I haven't farmed since 61. Will burn off the weed where it touches the fence, thus the name, "weed choppers". This also kills the weeds right down to the roots, But after a spell, the grass and new weeds grow taller and a brisk wind will blow them against the fence causing a new round of noise and they MAY be really noisy while killing and shortening weeds and grass. The MAY also kill small tree branches. His horses will certainly notice the more powerful fence and it may expose the problem spot. Something is shorting that fence to ground, somewhere and I'd bet it's more substantial than weeds. There is either a mistake in the wiring, or he has a bad insulator on a steel fence post and I'd bet it's close to the power source. That fence should be hard on anyone's tooth enamel who touches it regardless of distance from the power source. Just don't have your tongue between your teeth when it's working correctly and you touch it!<:-)

73

Roger (K8RI)